- Be at least 21 years of age upon graduation from the Academy.
- Be a citizen of the United States and a resident of Missouri when recruit training begins.
- Be a graduate of a four-year high school or obtain a certificate of equivalency recognized by the Missouri Department of Education (i.e., G.E.D.).
- Possess a minimum of 60 college credit hours OR a minimum of two years federal active duty military service with an honorable discharge OR a minimum of two years experience as a full-time POST certified peace officer when recruit training begins.
- Be of good character, with no felony convictions or crime involving moral turpitude, no pending indictments, or certain misdemeanor offenses including any involving aggressive or violent behavior (i.e., domestic violence, criminal assault, etc.), disregard for the safety of others, or the misuse of deadly weapons.
- Be free of objectionable tattoos/brands. No tattoos/brands are permitted on the head, neck, hands, or below the upper six-inch portion of the arm.
- Be willing to live anywhere in the State of Missouri.
- Possess a valid Missouri Driver License at the time of appointment.
- Possess ordinary physical strength.
- Pass the physical and mental examinations prescribed by the superintendent.
- Pass a battery of validated tests within the Trooper Selection Process.
Vision Requirements (Summarized)
- Visual acuity with spectacles or contact lenses 20/20 with both eyes open
- Visual acuity with no spectacles or contact lenses 20/40 with both eyes open *
- Good depth perception
- Good color vision
- Good peripheral vision
- Good eye health
* Note - Waivers may be granted to those candidates whose uncorrected acuity is less than the standard, but can provide proof of one or more years current successful contact lens wear.
* Note - Waivers may also be granted to those candidates who have had successful refractive surgery such as radial keratotomy or photo-refractive keratectomy, if proof of one or more years of stable non-fluctuating vision is provided.
Selection Process Outline
- Written Examination
- Fitness For Duty Assessment
- Background Investigation
- Background Review/Oral Interview Board
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Psychological Examination
- Psychological Interview
- Medical Examination
- Vision/Hearing Examination
- Drug Screening
- Overall Application Packet Review
- Final Offer of Employment
- 25-week Training Academy
The Missouri State Highway Patrol is an Equal Opportunity Employer