Crime Laboratory - History

Features

CLD - Crime Lab Division

CLD Photo

CLD - Crime Lab Division

CLD Photo

CLD - Crime Lab Division

CLD Photo

CLD - Crime Lab Division

CLD Photo

CLD - Crime Lab Division

CLD Photo

CLD - Crime Lab Division

CLD Photo

The MSHP first entered the field of forensic science by starting a crime laboratory in May of 1936. This laboratory was one of the first in the country. The FBI Laboratory had been in existence for only a few years at that time. For the entire year of 1939 the laboratory conducted 250 chemical, firearms and microscopic examinations. The laboratory was first housed in two small rooms of the Broadway Building in Jefferson City, Missouri. In October 1963 the laboratory moved to 4,000 square feet located in the basement of the new General Headquarters Building. The GHQ crime laboratory moved into 11,000 square feet located on the second floor of the General Headquarters Annex Building in October 1979. In December 2002, the Laboratory moved into the remaining area on the Annex second floor - nearly 20,000 square feet of space.

Staff

  • Director
  • William E. Marbaker

  • Assistant Director
  • Sidney R. Popejoy

  • Contact Information
  • Phone: (573) 526-6134
  • Fax: (573) 751-9922

  • Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
CLD Logo